Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

University will not punish yell leaders

University officials are declining any further comment on the yell leader hazing investigation, but two of the students involved say they received sanctions for not reporting hazing incidents they had knowledge of.
Tim Bailey said he received a letter of reprimand from the Department of Student Life, and Jonathan Lusk received a letter of warning. Both are running for re-election to their yell leader positions. The letters document the alleged hazing incidents and Bailey’s and Lusk’s involvement, and add that they will not be punished, Bailey said.
“Our failure to report that we knew hazing had occurred was clearly wrong, and in hindsight, we are glad this matter was brought to light,” Bailey said in a letter to The Battalion.
Bailey declined to discuss the specifics of the allegations, and said he had been instructed by University officials not to discuss the matter until the investigation is complete. Bailey said other yell leaders are still going through the Student Life disciplinary process.
Dean of Student Life Dr. David Parrott declined to comment on whether the yell leader investigation had been completed and whether any sanctions had been handed down.
“Given the fact that it’s a small group and they could be identified, that’s not information I should be giving out,” Parrott said.
Bailey said he and Lusk had erred because of “misplaced loyalty,” and had learned from their mistakes.
The sanctions would not prevent Bailey and Lusk from serving as yell leaders.
County Attorney Jim Kuboviak said he had been notified by University officials of the hazing investigation. Hazing is a Class A misdemeanor. Kuboviak said he has not decided whether to pursue a criminal investigation into the matter.
“I’ll wait for the University to make a decision on what they’re going to do with the students, based on my agreement with Dr. Gates,” he said in a March 21 interview.
Kuboviak declined to comment further on his discussions with University officials regarding the yell leader investigation, but had earlier said that he would not pursue criminal charges against Parsons Mounted Cavalry because he had been assured by Texas A&M President Robert M. Gates that the University would discipline the students involved.