Unraveling Chet Edwards

While most Texas Democrats are still cursing House Majority Leader Tom Delay and company for unjustly redrawing district lines, Congressman Chet Edwards, a primary Republican target for ousting, has put the ordeal behind him. Now serving his 14th year in Congress, Edwards is more interested in dealing with issues that affect his current district, as well as looking ahead to additional concerns held by the newly created District 17, of which Texas A&M and Brazos County will be a major component. Edwards announced on Jan. 15 that he will run for the District 17 seat, and in November of this year, A&M students should seize the opportunity to elect not only a former Aggie, but a congressman who has proven his dedication to central Texas and the United States.
Edwards’ current district includes Fort Hood, home to 42,000 soldiers and the largest active-duty U.S. Army post in the United States. He said he is saddened that he will not get the opportunity to represent Fort Hood after this term, but considering his Congressional record regarding troops and veterans, all may be assured that Edwards will continue to give military needs more than mere lip service. He recently received the National Security Leadership Award from the American Security Council and was named Legislator of the Year by the Association of the U.S. Army, an award Edwards said he is especially proud of.
One does not have to dig too deep to find out why such honors have been presented to Edwards. In the Nov. 8 Democratic Response to the President’s Weekly Address, Edwards called for increased funding for V.A. hospitals and improved healthcare for injured troops returning from Iraq.
He also brought attention to the Bush administration’s proposal to cut $1.5 billion in military construction funds for housing and healthcare for troops and their families, which would deny daily necessities to those who are dedicating their lives to their country.
Edwards has also earned a seat on the House Appropriations Committee, which recently set out the appropriations bill for 2004. One particular feature of the bill is emblematic of Edwards’ dedication to the people of his district. He managed to add $6.9 million to the legislation for transportation, education, water and community development in central Texas.
“Improving our roads and transportation system and protecting our quality of water,” Edwards said, “are crucial infrastructure investments to ensure our economic growth and quality of life in central Texas.”
When in Washington, D.C., congressional leaders too often forget about those back home. But Edwards’ track record has proven that he will not fall into such a trap. This conviction should be the goal of any elected representative, and Brazos County deserves such dedication.
Healthcare is also among Edwards’ chief concerns. Last month, he introduced the Medicare Prescription Drug Price Reduction Act into Congress. The bill will allow Medicare to negotiate with drug companies, resulting in lower drug prices for seniors.
Though most fail to realize the consequences of a huge national debt, its effects are felt in every community through increases in the cost of buying a home and building a business. Fiscal irresponsibility leads to future generations – including the student presently in college – having to pay off debt. As a sponsor of a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution, Edwards knows that fiscal responsibility, not reckless spending, helps Americans today and down the road. Edwards has said the failure of an administration to be fiscally conservative and the resulting rising debt, is analogous to the government charging huge expenses on the next generation’s credit card.
When Brazos County decides who it wants representing its interests, it should not come down to politics and partisanship. What will matter is experience, a track record that shows genuine and heartfelt concern for constituents at home and dedication to the United States and those who serve in its armed forces. With these attributes in Edwards’ corner, any candidate running against the congressman will be in for quite a race.