UPD, Carpool talk rideshare safety

File

Uber suggests double-checking the license plate, make and model and driver’s photo before entering a vehicle.

Around 2 a.m. on March 29, University of South Carolina student Samantha Josephson was kidnapped and murdered after mistakenly entering the car of a stranger that she believed to be her Uber driver.
The tragedy made national headlines and called into question the safety of rideshare apps — especially for students. It has prompted schools and authorities to take a closer look at rideshare apps, but no drastic changes have resulted from the crime.
According to Uber, users should double-check car details by matching the characteristics described on the app. These include the license plate number, the car’s make and model and the driver’s likeness to the provided photo. Uber also recommends sharing trip details with friends, riding in the back seat of the car to ensure a safe exit and avoid sharing personal information with the driver.
Texas A&M Police Lieutenant Bobby Richardson, Class of 1995, said students should avoid focusing only on their phones when waiting for their driver’s arrival. He recommends students stay aware of their surroundings throughout the process.
“Trust your instincts; that’s what we in our culture don’t do enough of,” Richardson said. “A&M is a safe community, so we take that for granted sometimes. If something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.”
Richardson said if a user enters a situation where they feel threatened, they should immediately leave and call 911.
“We would also recommend sitting in the back of the car instead of the front. In the front, you’re accessible to the driver,” Richardson said. “So if you’re in the back, it gives you separation. You can get out if you need to.”
A&M’s Carpool is a student organization that provides a free service to students who need a safe ride home. The group works Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights during the spring and fall semesters.
Allie Migura, director of public relations for Carpool and agricultural economics junior, said the organization’s mission is to provide students with a comfortable experience from a fellow Aggie they can trust to get them home safely.
“One of [the Carpool founders’] main things is that the service had to be something that his fellow Aggies trusted,” Migura said. “We’re peers; we trust each other. They get in our cars knowing that we’ll get them home safely.”
Team leader for Carpool and management information systems sophomore Jacob Miller said the group has a station exclusively for students leaving Northgate.
“The Northgate station is right behind the Dixie Chicken,” Miller said. “There’s barricades and a bunch of green shirts. There you sign up for a ride, and when they arrive, we walk you to your car. There’s definitely no getting in the wrong car.”
Miller said Carpool is meant to give students a transportation option with minimum usage obstacles.
“One of the most common questions that we all get is, ‘why not just drive for Uber and get paid for it?’” Miller said. “I think what separates Carpool from that is that everything we do is to give you a reason to not drive home drunk. So when rates get up to $80, we’ll get you there for free.”