Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

UPD chief retires after 42 years

After 42 years with the Texas A&M University Police Department, Police Chief Elmer E. Schneider Jr. retired Friday.
He began his career with the police department in 1970 as a student dispatcher, not knowing it would turn into a life-long career.
I just was looking to pursue my agriculture degree [when I first started working], said Schneider, Class of 1971. This was just a natural progression. I started at a time of growth and it just changed my plans to teach vocational agriculture.
Schneider served in many positions in the department and was appointed chief in 2005.
Your most valuable resource is the human element and thats what makes this University great, Schneider said. I work with a great group of men and women and its going to be difficult leaving.
Schneiders last day of service was Friday. While he said he has no extravagant plans for his retirement, he is planning to spend more time with his family.
Schneider gathered with his family, friends and colleagues for a retirement reception in his honor. University President R. Bowen Loftin said at the ceremony on Friday that he and Schneider have much in common.
Elmer [Schneider] and I have two important things that we share, Loftin said. First of all we were classmates we both came here in 1967 as freshmen. Second is that we both share a love for our students. Everything he does is for our students and not to our students.
Christopher Meyer, assistant vice president for safety and security, worked closely with Schneider.
Please know we appreciate the sacrifices you made, Meyer said to Schneiders family while holding back tears.
Mike Ragan was the assistant chief of police under Schneider and will serve as interim chief.
In his closing remarks, Schneider thanked those who helped during his time at the department.
I wouldnt be here without the people who walked before me, Schneider said. It all starts with our people people who Ive stood with, behind and alongside. I have worked with some of the best men and women at this University and am very proud of that.