UPD offers advice for spring break

Safe Spring Break is a series of events that occur before spring break to encourage safety among students and ensure they return from break safely.
The theme is “What’s Your Reality,” mimicking reality television shows.
“Various topics covered during the week include: travel safety and alerts, drowsy driving and responsible decisions regarding alcohol, safety, health and wellness,” said Patricia Garcia, alcohol and drug education programs and student conduct representative.
The Crime Prevention Unit of the University Police Department will give advice on how to deal with common occurrences during spring break.
“First and foremost, know the laws of where you’re going whether it’s out of state or out of the country,” said Officer Kristi Hosea of UPD. “If you will be traveling, make preparations before you leave, like stopping newspapers or have someone pick them up for you.”
Lock doors and windows before leaving to prevent the opportunity of a criminal breaking and entering the premises, said Hosea.
“Prepare yourself. Keep a copy of contact numbers. Don’t just keep them in your cell phone because if you lose the cell phone or it dies or drowns, you’ll have lost all your contact information, so keep a hard copy,” she said.
Hosea said not to take jewelry on vacation or flash money around because it increases desire in a potential criminal.
“Stop periodically when driving long distances so you don’t become road weary,” Hosea said.
Fifty-one percent of adults said they feel drowsy when driving according to Texas Department of Public Safety. Males and people between 18 and 29 are at the highest risk for drowsy driving.
“Stay on main roads and make sure your cell phone’s charged,” she said.
Other advice from UPD’s Crime Prevention Unit includes safety tips for staying at a hotel or motel.
“Don’t leave your luggage unattended in the lobby and don’t leave your door ajar when you’re going to the ice machines,” she said.
She said not to bring anyone to the room who is a new acquaintance.
“Limit the opportunities of sexual assault. Consider limiting the amount of alcohol you drink and refrain from being alone with that individual. If you choose to drink too much, make sure you have a trusted friend who’ll take care of you,” Hosea said.
There is one particular event the Crime Prevention Unit is hosting where they will give travel advice.
“Myself and Beth Netherland, a self defense instructor with the health and kinesiology department, will be presenting a program on safe spring break travel tips and personal safety and self-defense,” she said.
Things that happen during spring break often revolve around alcohol, like fighting, sexual assault, rape and thefts according to Hosea.
“We want our students to go and have a good time, but be safe about it and consider the repercussions,” Hosea said.