UPD teams up with ResLife to host ‘Night Out’

%26%23160%3B

To educate Texas A&M students on crime prevention, the University Police Department is teaming up with Residence Life to host the annual National Night Out on Tuesday, part of a national campaign.
National Night Out is hosted to familiarize students with local law enforcement and emergency responders.
Officer Kristi Hosea said the goal is to educate the community and promote crime prevention in the area.
“Communities and neighborhoods can come together with their local law enforcement and first responders in an effort to promote crime prevention, heighten awareness and kick crime to the curb,” Hosea said.
To reach the student population at A&M, Hosea said UPD partners with Residence Life to focus the event on Texas A&M.
“It is a great opportunity for students to visit with first responders and community organizations specializing in safety,” Hosea said. “There will be food, games and a large resource fair providing a variety of safety information.”
In 2013, more than 37.8 million people in 16,242 communities participated in National Night Out.
Maggie Guzman, Residence Life coordinator, said students living on campus should attend to learn about emergency services available to them.
Hosea said while the fair is informational, there will be guests who will make attending worthwhile.
“We are very excited to announce Reveille will be visiting NNO again this year and will be available for photos,” Hosea said. “We will also have Vince and Larry, the crash dummies, and Cell Phone Sally from Brazos County 911.”
A UPD police car, TEEX fire truck and TAMU EMS will also be on display as well as the “Roll Over Convincer,” showing how seatbelts save lives.
The on-campus National Night Out event will be from 6-8 p.m. Tuesday in Hullaballoo Hall.
The goal of National Night Out is to educate the community and promote local crime prevention.
File photo.