UPD warns of arrest warrant phone scam

According to a press release by the University Police Department (UPD), multiple individuals have reported receiving bogus phone calls from individuals using 979-845-2345, UPD’s non-emergency phone number, in an attempt to collect money.

The phone calls are from individuals who claim to be a part of a law enforcement agency and tell the victims they must make prompt payments for outstanding arrest warrants using a pre-loaded debit card or wire transfer.
If the victim does not cooperate, the imposters threaten arrest, deportation, dismissal of degrees or dismissal from the university. The press release states that in some cases, the callers have been reported as “aggressive, hostile and insulting.”

According to the release, calling from the UPD’s phone number and using fake names or fake identification badge numbers are common tactics used by con artists to appear to be from a law enforcement agency.
UPD urges anyone contacted by someone requesting a payment for an unfamiliar debt to take caution because it is likely a scam, and to report it to UPD at 979-845-2345.