USIP president to discuss world conflicts

The search for peace in a number of worldwide conflicts will be the focus of a discussion Thursday.

Texas A&M and the Scowcroft Institute of International Affairs will host Nancy Lindborg, president of the U.S. Institute of Peace, to discuss international affairs and USIP’s involvement with countries in conflict. 

Lindborg will present on topics such as civil wars in the Middle East, the Islamic State group and other “conflict zones,” said professor Andrew Natsios, director of the Scowcroft Institute.

“Nancy will be talking about bringing peace into conflict areas of the world,” Natsios said. “She’s going to focus on what’s happening right now in the major trouble spots of our world.” 

Natsios said the presentation is relevant to the student body as it affects the future of A&M students — especially members of the Corps of Cadets. 

“You have 2,000 cadets who, many of them may go into the military and then go into a war zone,” Natsios said. “You would want to know if there are actually some people thinking about you and your people back in Washington — doing research on the area you’re in.” 

Natsios said outside of military involvement, Lindborg’s topic applies significantly to those who desire to serve in public or foreign service. 

“Everybody should know that USIP is one of the bigger think tanks in Washington,” Natsios said. “For people who are going into any kind of international affairs position in Washington, USIP is essential and hearing [Lindborg] speak will further prove that.” 

Lindborg’s speech will be informative to any students regardless of major, said Reyko Huang, assistant professor of international affairs at the Bush School. 

“I think that this is an important topic, given what’s happening right now in the world,” Huang said. “We read so much about violence in the news — it’s all over, it’s always in front of us and students need to be informed further about topics like this. Whether they are studying it at A&M or the Bush School or novt, it’s still extremely important.”

Lindborg will present her topic at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Bush Library Presidential Orientation Theater as part of the SIIA International Affairs Conference series. The event is free and open to the public, although reservations are required through the Scowcroft Institute.