Veterans offer healing through laughter

The GIs of Comedy tour entertained a Rudder Auditorium audience Tuesday evening with its brand of military-influenced humor.
The troupe helps heal its fellow soldiers through comedy and brings laughter to supporters of the United States Armed Forces, according to its website.
The event began when Jody Fuller, a captain in the Alabama National Guard, announced himself as the master of ceremonies, energizing the crowd with jokes and comparing himself to Johnny Football.
When people told me I couldnt be an officer in the military because I stuttered, it is kind of like when people told yall A&M wouldnt be good in the SEC this year, Fuller said. Guess we both proved them wrong.
All four comedians touched on the rich military history and Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M and reflected on their time in the Armed Forces.
The audience was largely composed of members of the Corps of Cadets and older men and women a demographic that troupe member Tom Irwin, former Army private first class, made light of.
Yall are some old looking college students, Irwin said. I mean you are all definitely seniors. It kind of makes me miss my parents.
Mariah Stanley, sophomore international studies major and member of the Corps of Cadets, said she appreciated the veterans military references, considering the history at A&M.
I think it is cool that their comedy is military oriented, because we can relate to it, Stanley said.
Troy Franklin, junior biological and agricultural engineer major and member of the Corps of Cadets, said he came to the on-campus event to relax and enjoy a laugh.
Its been a busy couple of weeks and my buddies and I thought it would be fun to have a break and a laugh, Franklin said.
The group of four veterans began touring in 2010 to provide entertainment for service members who have returned from a combat deployment, are preparing to deploy and those who support the military.