Visiting prof to analyze Nazi regime’s impact on ecology

While the Holocaust had major implications on the European Jewish population, a visiting Yale professor will further analyze the Nazi regime’s impact from an ecological standpoint.

Timothy Snyder, Bird White Housum Professor of history at Yale University and expert on Eastern Europe and the Second World War, will present a public lecture entitled “The Holocaust as History and Warning.”

The lecture he will be presenting is titled as a preview of his latest book, “Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning.” He is also the author of other award-winning books, including “Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin” and has written journal and news articles pertaining to the subject.

Director of the Glasscock Center, Richard Golsan, said the importance of the Holocaust is relevant today because of ecological reasons.

“In Nazi ideology, they wanted the room and resources to maintain a standard of living for Germans,” Golsan said. “Snyder, in his book, claims that the potential for that kind of thinking when resources are scarce can bring about political violence.”

Col. Don Bailey, assistant director to the Scowcroft Institute, said the kind of impact the lecture is supposed to have on the attendees is not political.

“Our goal is to bring in speakers of note and present their ideas,” Bailey said. “From that, faculty and students synthesize that information … to become better public servants.”

International studies junior Anna Martinez said she plans on attending the lecture.

“I’m interested in learning more about the Holocaust,” Martinez said. “I’m interested in the upcoming presidential election and you hear [racial] little jokes. Even though they’re jokes, they have meaning behind them.”

The lecture will be held at 6:30 p.m. on April 6 at the Annenberg Presidential Conference Center.