Voice’s of Veterans on Campus

Peter Michelena, Marine Corps, Biological and agricultural engineering sophomore
“My favorite memory of serving is being able to wake up every morning next to my brothers and see the sunrise as we ate breakfast and got ready for patrol in a different part of the world. It reminded me that I had been blessed with one more day, and I was going to make the most of it.
Being on campus is surreal at times, and trying to stay current is difficult. It’s a changing world, and I feel like I’m constantly trying to find my place to fit in. Fortunately I have found some awesome organizations that have given me brotherhood and a sense of belonging to the Aggie family. Trying to let go of the life I had before coming to A&M is the most difficult part, and the best part is meeting new people and enjoying some of the awesome experiences A&M has to offer.
I am a combat veteran with two Purple Hearts, and I feel that Veterans Day should not only be about thanking those that served, but remembering those that have given their lives and blood to allow us to live in this amazing nation.”
Autumn McKenzie, Air Force, Marketing senior
“I fell in love with Texas A&M when I was 17 and visited the campus. I love that I am here now and fiercely proud to call myself an Aggie. However, it is sometimes difficult to be on campus. I have to deal with students that are a little younger than me that don’t have the same life experience or focus that I do.
It can be frustrating to work with others that seem to have no concept of prioritizing or time management, which is something that is taught very early in basic training and reinforced throughout your military career. Also, it can be distracting when other students hold conversations or are on their phones during class. In the military, attention to detail is another skill that is taught early and reinforced because one day it will save not only your life, but your buddy’s life as well. Because of this, veterans are hypersensitive to distractions and things like holding conversations and not paying attention to the professors can be very difficult to deal with when trying to learn. Plus, it is highly disrespectful.
Besides these things everything else is fantastic. Great atmosphere, great amenities, friendly, happy people always willing to help each other out.”
Daniel Murany, Marine Corps, Rangeland ecology and management sophomore
“My best memory — I have had some pretty crazy times — but my best memory was working with scout snipers in Afghanistan. My job was signals intelligence. Basically what we did was work with the scout snipers to locate key Taliban members that were working in the area.
The best lesson I learned out of the five years in the Marine Corps was it could always be worse. I have passed out from heat exhaustion, I have nearly passed out from hypothermia, I have been shot at, almost blown up, I tore up my knee when I was 19. Now, all I have to do is go to school, and it’s not that big a deal.”
Amanda Lampley, Navy, Environmental studies junior
“[The best part of serving was] meeting all the great people I did. They are more than just coworkers, they really are your brothers and sisters in uniform. I couldn’t have done what I did without them. Because this is a military-friendly campus with several resources to utilize, the transition from active duty to civilian has been relatively easy. There are so many people that are here to help you through problems and to just talk to, on and off campus.”
Thaddeus Nadelson, Coast Guard, Civil engineering senior
“My favorite memory about serving has to be two things — I made friends around the world that I will have for the rest of my life, and the life experiences I have been given through my Coast Guard experience.
Being on campus has been quite a culture shock for me. I separated from the military back in July and had been stationed in Miami for the last six and a half years. I am almost always the oldest student in my classes and the majority of my shipmates and civilian friends in Miami were older than me.”
Corye Black, Army, Political science sophomore
“My favorite memory is of my medic in the middle of a firefight doing the stanky leg even though bullets were flying.
I’m 27 and when I’m on this campus I feel a little old, but I’m okay with that. I’m just glad I’m here.
My future plans are, once I graduate, to work for the state department. Maybe get stationed at an embassy in a country that is not trying to collapse and has a beach.”