76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

VP of Communication qualifications discussed unication

The search committee in charge of selecting a person to fill the newly created position of vice president of communications for A&M met for the second time Thursday to discuss the job description and qualifications.
University President Robert M. Gates created the 18-member committee last month to select potential candidates for the position.
The committee has not announced when the appointment will be made.
“Obviously the individual we are looking for isn’t searching for a job right now, so when we make a selection, the starting date would depend on the person hired,” Fike said.
The next meeting has not been scheduled, but University officials say it will be take place around final exam week, Dec. 5-11.
Gates created the new position at the recommendation of several task forces, led by Special Adviser to the President R.C. Slocum, that examined University marketing, communications and use of the Web.
The committee is chaired by Executive Vice President for Generation and Supply for Reliant Energy Robert W. Harvey and includes two student members who are responsible for student input on the issue.
Christopher Clonts, Class of 2005, who serves as a student advocate for communications for the Student Government Association, is in charge of undergraduate input on the committee.
“Basically what we did (at the meeting) was set the initial job description of the position and identified broad attributes that the potential candidates should have,” Clonts said. “We’re looking for someone with function and expertise in the marketing and communications fields and (someone) who can unite and lead the University on a unified front.”
The committee hasn’t listed any specific candidates for the job. A subcommittee has been created to further describe the specific attributes required of a candidate.
“We need someone who can tell the story of Texas A&M to the outside world,” said A&M Professor John L. Fike, who is also on the committee.
“I am confident we will be successful in attracting strong candidates for this new position,” Gates said.