VPSA Ramirez apologizes for leaving student leaders out of communications, pledges to do better

Gen. Joe Ramirez, former Commandant of the Corps of Cadets, transitioned into the role of Vice President for Student Affairs in June of 2021.

In a Feb. 21 university-wide email, Vice President for Student Affairs Gen. Joe Ramirez publicly acknowledged his office left students out of conversations regarding major decisions for several student organizations.
“I take full responsibility for decisions made within the Division of Student Affairs that did not involve student input in advance,” Ramirez said in the email. “Decisions made without student notification, nor involvement, have led to misinformation and concern among our student body that could easily have been avoided with some open and transparent dialogue with students before decisions were made.”
Recently, student organizations such as Draggieland, Fish Camp and The Battalion have faced new changes and demands from the office of the VPSA without prior consultation or involvement. Texas A&M current and former students have communicated their frustrations with university administration to The Battalion and across social media.
In Monday’s email, Ramirez said he values students and pledges to serve them better in his role moving forward.
“I am committed to ensuring that the mistakes I have made in communicating with students in my early tenure as the VPSA are not repeated in the future,” Ramirez said. “I have learned from these mistakes and will strive to be more intentional about collaborating with students in future decisions.”