Wastewater overflows in College Station as heavy rain continues

Photo by by Savannah Mehrtens

As Hurricane Harvey remains steadily focused over Texas as a tropical storm, inland cities begin to see heavy rainfall and wind gusts.

Wastewater has overflowed from from the City of College Station’s public water system after the city received more than 12 inches of rain brought on by Hurricane Harvey.
The City estimates that more than 100,000 gallons of wastewater have overflowed during a period of multiple overflows on Saturday and Sunday.
In response, the City has issued the following precautionary statements:

• People using private drinking water supply wells located within a half mile of a wastewater spill site, or within the potentially affected area, should use only water that has been distilled or boiled at a rolling boil for at least one minute for all personal uses, including drinking, cooking, bathing and brushing teeth.
  • Those with private water wells within a half mile of a wastewater spill area should have their water tested and disinfected, if necessary, prior to discontinuing distillation or boiling.
  • People who purchase water from a public water supply may contact their water supply distributor to determine if the water is safe for personal use.
  • The public should avoid contact with waste material, soil or water in the area potentially affected by the spill.
  • As a precaution, it is recommended to avoid contact with the waters of Carters and Alum creeks.
  • Do not bathe, swim or wade in floodwaters.
  • If the public comes into contact waste material, soil or water potentially affected by the spill, they should bathe and wash clothes thoroughly as soon as possible.