Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Watch and see: Slocum in charge

With one of the most well-known jobs at Texas A&M, R.C. Slocum has a lot of people to make happy. Not many people have spelled “Fire R.C.” with styrofoam cups in the Wellborn Road skywalk, followed immediately by the words “R.C. is a legend” to replace the first.
Many Aggie fans would like to see the first Wellborn message come true, but they need to wait one week before jumping on the R.C.-canning wagon.
At the end of the Aggies’ 28-20 win over the Wyoming Cowboys on Sept. 6, Slocum was more than upset with the Aggie defensive squad.
“I haven’t been pleased with the way we played,” Slocum said. “I don’t think they [the team] have been either.”
Slocum showed his concern with the team’s intensity during a Thursday afternoon team meeting, where, according to players, Slocum took over the defensive talks, and told his players exactly what he thought of their play.
“Coach Slocum has definitely taken a stance,” said junior linebacker Brian Gamble. “He decided that we were going to do things right, or we weren’t going to do them.”
With the team needing something to jumpstart the defense and gain some respect from the campus and nation, Slocum’s talk may be just what the defensive doctor ordered.
With Big 12 play starting on Saturday for the Aggies, practices may need some added intensity. After Slocum’s talk with the defensive unit, players were convinced Slocum meant business.
“It seemed like the whole defense had passed out [after the following practice],” said senior safety Jay Brooks. “That’s a good sign, because somebody worked hard.”
The entire defense apparently took the talk to the practice field, as the linebacking core noticed the difference as well.
“There was a definite change in tempo and change of attitude,” Gamble said. “When you do that, you are going to be in great shape, in game shape. There has been a total change.”
The defense should welcome the change, and should see some positive reinforcement of that change on Saturday.
“There are no complaints, because that’s what it takes to be a good team,” Gamble said. “Coach Slocum has been around some great defenses, and some great teams.”
Slocum, along with the rest of the NCAA Division 1-A football coaches, have the toughest job in the country, and they can all point their finger at Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops.
Stoops took the Sooners in only two seasons to the top, and claimed the national title with an unblemished 13-0 record.
Now every athletic director at any school believes they can hire a young coach and win a national championship in two seasons. When they do not, the words, “Bob Stoops did,” are soon to precede a pink slip.
So, before you point your finger at Slocum, wait and see what the Wrecking Crew pulls off against Oklahoma State on Saturday at Kyle Field. If Slocum’s talk drastically improves the Aggie defense’s play, then there may be more “R.C. is a legend” remarks on more than just the skywalk.