Watkins cannot compete at the collegiate level

Being born in Indiana, I was raised watching basketball with the same passion Aggies show to football. While here at A&M, I saw Reed Arena completed and hoped the new focus on basketball would bring the quality I was used to seeing. A conference basketball game at Duke, Kentucky or Indiana has the same energy as Kyle Field does during football because of the quality of their teams.
Coach Watkins has shown he is not able to coach at that level. I have seen Indiana high school teams with better fundamental skills make smarter game-time decisions than our men’s team often does.
If our players don’t come to A&M with this understanding of the game, then it’s up to our coaches to instill these qualities in them. It’s a shame our athletes, who play so hard, are not being coached in ways that would give them chances to win in conference.
It’s not only about winning. Coach Blair has done more for the women’s program in a few months than Coach Watkins has done with the men’s team in his whole tenure. The wins will come for Coach Blair, but not for the men until we get a new coach.