Ways to stay safe Halloween night

Despite the fact that Halloween falls in the middle of the week, the night still holds potential for thrills and spills.
According to Susan Kimbrough, program coordinator of Alcohol and Drug Education Programs at Texas A&M, Halloween is listed as one of the heaviest drinking days of the year. For college students whose Halloween festivities consist of a little more than trick or treating, its important to make a plan to stay out of harms way. Rhonda Seaton of the College Station Police Department, Allan Baron of the University Police Department, and Kimbrough offered tips for enjoying the night of scares safely.
1. Dark costumes can blend into the night, so be extra careful when crossing roadways
2. Avoid walking alone
3. Have a designated driver
4. Watch your drink at all times
5. Use carpool
6. If youre costume has a weapon, make sure its clear the weapon is not real
7. Make sure everyone in the group gets home safely
8. Know the signs of alcohol poisoning
9. Set limits beforehand
10. Your body can support one standard drink per hour, so monitor drinking rates
Keeping these precautions in mind will allow students to celebrate fearlessly. For more information on celebrating safely, visit studentlife.tamu.edu/adep.