Weed laws, landmark Latina elections and Facebook false news: This week in politics

Texas will send two Latinas to Congress for the first time.

Facebook executives admit the social network was used to incite ethnic violence in Myanmar
This Monday, Facebook released a report saying the platform was used to spread misinformation from officials within the Myanmar government. This misuse of Facebook has increased violence toward the Rohingya people, a Muslim minority group which has been increasingly displaced by the crisis occurring in Myanmar.
Myanmar has only recently been introduced to the internet, and some sources say the country is in a state of “digital illiteracy.” Facebook is often the only source of information for many people in the state, which has caused the site’s owners to receive critique for not enforcing adequate policies to protect against abuse of the platform.
For the first time in history, Texas will send two Latinas to Congress 
Veronica Escobar and Sylvia Garcia defeated incumbent opponents to become the first freshman women sent to Congress from Texas in over 20 years. They will also be the state’s first Hispanic female representatives. Escobar will represent El Paso when she replaces Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke in Texas’ Congressional District 16. Garcia will replace Gene Green from Congressional District 29, who represents eastern Houston.
During midterm elections, three states voted to diminish marijuana laws  
On Nov. 6, Michigan voted to legalize recreational marijuana use, becoming the 10th state to allow for non-medical use. Missouri and Utah voted to legalize medical use of marijuana, joining the 33 states that allow for some use of the drug.
These legalizations present a conflict between state and federal sovereignty, as federal jurisdiction still prohibits possession and use of cannabis.