Week to observe Aggie traditions

With rings, yell leaders and Silver Taps, the traditions of Texas A&M shape student experiences from the inside, as well as the outside world’s perception of the University.
Traditions Week, conducted by Traditions Council, will celebrate some of the traditions at Texas A&M. Each day during the week of April 7-11 will have a different tradition assigned to it, with Traditions Council members handing out buttons with pictures and slogans relating to the tradition of the day.
Andrew Sibal, Traditions Council outreach and awareness executive chair and senior industrial distribution major, said these traditions have shaped the culture of Texas A&M and fostered a welcoming atmosphere for generations of Aggies.
“I think it’s changed the Texas A&M culture,” Sibal said. “We wouldn’t be recognized as the friendliest campus on earth if we didn’t ‘Howdy.’ We wouldn’t be as respectful if we didn’t have Muster or Silver Taps. It really distinguishes us from other universities because who else stands out at 10:30 at night to honor their fallen Aggies? Traditions signify what Texas A&M stands for and you can’t explain it, as cliche as that sounds.”
Traditions Council is a 60-member committee of the Student Government Association. Sibal said the council participates in a variety of activities meant to honor and preserve what makes Texas A&M unique.
“Our mission is to promote and protect the traditions of Texas A&M through education and awareness,” Sibal said. “We do this mainly through speaking engagements throughout the state of Texas and on campus – to student organizations, Aggie Mothers’ Club.”
A tradition that holds special
significance for Sibal is the Aggie Ring, as he said it represents both his personal achievement and the traditions of Texas A&M that he holds dear.
“Whether it’s the number of stars on the ring, the shield and crest or the saber and gun, there’s so much meaning behind [the Aggie ring] and it signifies what traditions mean to Texas A&M,” Sibal said.
Noel Handy, sophomore geography major, said he participates in A&M traditions as an act of devotion to the school he loves.
“Honoring the traditions at Texas A&M is showing appreciation and love for the school and its incredible history,” Handy said. “It’s what makes A&M unique and it’s important to preserve everything from Midnight Yell to Silver Taps.”