Western Kentucky stuns Drake

It’s called March Madness for a reason, and this year’s poster child of the tournament is easily Western Kentucky and Ty Roger’s 26 foot three pointer to give the Hilltoppers the buzz beater overtime win and stun fifth seeded Drake.
“The reason I wanted the ball is because I have faith,” said Rogers. “I think everyone on this team has faith, it’s something everyone on this team talks about.”
Roger’s buzzer beater has quickly become one of the early highlights of the tournament and Western Kentucky, moving into the second round thanks to its 101-99 victory over Drake, is one of several teams vying to be this year’s Cinderella. However the game was more than just a prayer shot.
The Hilltoppers had Drake down by 16 with eight minutes to go in regulation. The Bulldog’s staged a furious comeback, tied the game to go to overtime and lead 99-98 with 5.7 seconds to go. Western Kentucky’s Tyrone Brazelton, who had scored a career high 33 points and lead the Hilltoppers in assists and steals, was actually the star of the game but made the judgment call of the game to kick the ball to Rogers who hit the three and notched the win.
“I think what you just saw out there is why this is the greatest show on earth,” Western Kentucky coach Darrin Horn said. “I can’t say enough about Drake. Unbelievable character, toughness, heart. They played so hard. They countered everything. What a great team.”
This was Drake’s first tournament appearance since 1971 where they made it to the Elite Eight before losing to Kansas. The Bulldogs however are on the upswing. Head coach Keno Davis was named national coach of the year for getting the school it’s first Missouri Valley Conference championship and NCAA Tournament bid in years. Jonathan Cox and Josh Young, two All-MVC players will return as well. The Western Kentucky Hilltoppers live to play another day. They will meet fellow underdog San Diego in the second round. San Diego is fresh off a huge upset of UConn.