Where is the love? Traveling speaker and students lacking

It has almost become a must-see attraction. When Jed Smock, a traveling campus preacher known as “Brother Jed,” comes to A&M, word spreads and people gather in flocks.
Wednesday morning, Smock set up his chair near the South corner of the Academic building and spoke until after 6 p.m. — offending many students in the process. Nevertheless, a crowd of nearly 40 people was present most of the day.
Some of Smock’s actions, such as calling women “whores” for their clothing choices or sexual history, is not acceptable by any standard, but neither are the antics of many students.
The running dialogue kept many students thinking and breaking into small groups to discuss issues, but it also crossed lines when Smock denounces individuals. One sophomore said it best: “There is no love.”
There was no love indeed, from Smock or from the students posing for pictures mocking Smock. It was ironic to hear someone introduce Smock as “a man of mockery humiliating himself” minutes before mocking him.
The atheists and agnostics student group was nearby, offering free hugs and talking with students in an effort to “counter some of the negativity with love.” Although it was a very noble deed, the sign with pictures of a nut and a case on one side and a screw and ball on the other was hardly more appropriate than Smock’s words.
Most students were respectful and attentive to Smock, and he does possess a wealth of knowledge on a wide range of topics. Free speech is a great thing, and so is generating conversation. However, it shouldn’t be abused by rudely degrading others.
His views are certainly unique, but they are also worth hearing. If you have time today or Friday, stop by for a while and engage in the conversation. You could have your eyes opened – by Brother Jed or by a new friend. Just remember, one man’s insults do not entitle you to return them with your own.