White pleads guilty to assault and battery

DETROIT (AP) – White Stripes lead singer Jack White pleaded guilty to assault and battery Tuesday for a fight with the lead singer of another band.
White was accused of repeatedly punching Von Bondies lead singer Jason Stollsteimer and originally was charged with misdemeanor aggravated assault. He could have faced up to a year in jail, but will avoid jail time under the plea deal.
White must pay a $500 fine, plus $250 in court fees, and Judge Paula G. Humphries ordered him to attend anger management classes. She also told him not to contact Stollsteimer.
The Dec. 13 fight between White and Stollsteimer began shortly before midnight at the Majestic Theater Center, where both men were in the audience for another concert.
Stollsteimer, of Detroit, told police that White punched him seven times in the face. Police said Stollsteimer’s right eye was bruised and swollen, and he was bleeding from his nose. He was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital where he was treated and released.
White, of Detroit, went to police after the fight and gave a statement saying he struck Stollsteimer in self-defense.
In court Tuesday, White gave his account of what led to the fight. He said he hadn’t seen Stollsteimer in a long time, but had heard that he had made some allegations against him in the press and to mutual acquaintances.
”I went up to ask him to say it to me face to face,” White said.
He said Stollsteimer ignored him so White spit at him and they started to fight.