Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Sophomore DB Jacoby Mattews (2) and sophomore DB Sam McCall (16) attempt to stop LSU WR Malik Nabers during Texas A&Ms game against LSU on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023 at Tiger Stadium (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded pass catcher
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 22, 2024

As NFL defenses have found ways to stifle scoring opportunities and keep the lid on big plays, a bigger burden falls on the pass catchers for...

Members of Aggie Replant pick up trash at Aggie Park on Feb. 5, 2024. (Photo courtesy of Mayra Puga)
Aggies come together to promote sustainability
Ayena Kaleemullah, Life & Arts Writer • April 22, 2024

As Earth Day arrives in Aggieland, talks about environmental action are growing. From planting trees to creating an impactful sustainable lifestyle,...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Whoopstock celebrates diversity

Early rains did not keep more than 300 people from celebrating diversity with bands, food and activities Saturday at the 10th annual Whoopstock Unity Festival on the O.R. Simpson Drill Field.
Liz Schroeder, executive chair of the Whoopstock committee, said she expected less people because of the weather.
“It turned out better than we had anticipated,” said Schroeder, a sophomore business finance major.
Students and families tasted fajitas, played frisbee with toys from the Student Counseling Service and enjoyed tea with the Chinese Students Association while listening to bands such as Kenyah, an African rock band, the Texas A&M Gospel Choir and the Brazos Valley Jelly Bellies, a local belly dancing group.
Natalie Kuhn, who helped make beaded bracelets at the Aggie Allies booth, said the entertainment was better this year than in the past..
“There were more performances than last year,” said Kuhn, a senior genetics major, “and I liked the music a lot better this year.”
Eighteen multicultural organizations including, community vendors and artists, participated in activities such as face painting, sumo wrestling, sand art, henna tattoos and jewelry making.
Shirley Osadebe, a senior biochemistry major who was assisting Whoopstock staff collect surveys of those in attendance, said the response was generally positive.
“A lot of people loved the music and dancing and the food,” she said. “They said the atmosphere was great.”
Osadebe said some people were not clear about the purpose of Whoopstock, which is to “introduce, interact, and celebrate with all the cultures represented,” according to the Whoopstock Unitiy Festival press release.
Schroeder said she hopes Whoopstock will continue to grow in the future as well as continue to teach others about diversity.
Schroeder said the Whoopstock staff was pleased with tthe festival turnout.
“It’s just amazing to see 10 months of work come to life in one day,” she said. “I know we did the best we could.”