Wiley lecture to examine Guantanamo Bay ethics

The MSC Wiley Lecture Series will tap into the discussion on the constitutionality of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp in its event “And Justice for All?” Thursday.

The event will cover topics like the history of Guantanamo Bay, landmark Supreme Court decisions affecting the release of prisoners and thoughts on the possible closing of the establishment, said Shelby James, MSC Wiley director of symposia.

James said the event will include a moderator and a panel of four individuals with substantial knowledge about the detention camp.

“We have a very distinguished slate of speakers,” James said. “Our moderator is Sahar Aziz, a professor of international law at the A&M School of Law.”

James said the importance of this presentation is something the Wiley Lecture Series wishes to accomplish with all of their programs — the engagement of discussion to promote knowledge. 

“We address academic topics that include social and political events, science and technology or economics,” James said. “The overarching theme [of the series] is public policy.”

Because Guantanamo Bay is a primary topic in public policy, James said she and her sub-committee found the need to put it at the spotlight of university debate. 

“I actually hope that we draw students of different interests,” James said. “We want the most diverse crowd as possible for all of our Wiley programs. I think the more diverse the crowd is regarding their viewpoints on whether the facility should be maintained, the more interesting our discussion will be.”

W Lander, international studies junior, worked with James and others to pitch the event to an MSC central programming committee last spring. 

“Our main goal is to educate and bring awareness to issues,” Lander said. “Particularly, in this case, with Guantanamo bay and its connection to civil rights.”

MSC Wiley’s “And Justice for All?” will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday in the MSC Room 1400. This event will be free to students, faculty and any others who wish to attend.