Texas A&M infielder Ryan Targac (12) hits a walk-off single to run-rule Arkansas during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas at Olsen Field on Saturday, May 18, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
‘Every decision and choice I’ve made has led up to that moment’

It started with a commotion in the Texas A&M baseball dugout.  With the No. 5 Aggies up 13-4 over No. 3 Arkansas with a runner on second...

Williams begins clearing up Astros’ lineup status

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) — Five days before their first spring training game in the Grapefruit League, the Houston Astros lineup is taking shape.
Team Manager Jimy Williams has named center fielder Craig Biggio as the likely lead-off hitter while shortstop Julio Lugo should be batting second. Williams said first baseman Jeff Bagwell probably will have the third spot in the lineup, while outfielder Lance Berkman will bat clean-up followed by newly acquired second baseman Jeff Kent batting in the fifth position.
Williams has even named Roy Oswalt the starting pitcher for the Astros’ opening day game at Minute Maid Park in Houston on April 1 against the Colorado Rockies.
Williams said he can see many players filling leadership roles this year.
“We’re not looking for a speaker of the house here. We’re looking for a daily leader. Maybe (pitcher Wade) Miller can lead today and Oswalt tomorrow. Biggio can lead the next day and Bagwell the day after that. They have enough to think about; they have enough to do, they have enough to focus on, much less being a leader.
“I think that the best way to lead is to have the team lead and look for different leaders on a daily basis,” Williams said.
Houston has its first preseason game Saturday against the New York Yankees.