Winners of 2015 spring student elections announced

Vanessa Peña — THE BATTALION
Yell Leader candidates for 5 for Yell pray together before the winners are annouced. 
Vanessa Peña — THE BATTALION Yell Leader candidates for ‘5 for Yell’ pray together before the winners are annouced. 

Academic Plaza burst with action Friday evening as the results of the 2015 spring elections were announced.
Joseph Benigno was named student body president-elect. Benigno amassed 52 percent of 13,021 total votes and is set to replace Kyle Kelly as Texas A&M’s student body president for the 2015-2016 academic year.
Kelsey Gaines, communications junior and longtime friend of Benigno, said Benigno is hands down the best guy for the job.
“He is one of the most humble men when it comes to serving A&M,” Gaines said. “His love for this university is displayed in just about everything he does.”
Benigno said he was overwhelmed with emotions upon hearing his name.
“I am extraordinarily proud to have my name associated with this campaign,” Benigno said. “I’m really proud of our team members who have worked extremely hard – from holding up the signs and wearing our T-Shirts. They did incredible.”
Benigno said his goal was to lead a high integrity campaign and intends to lead his term as student body president with the same values.
“You can expect a lot of hard work from me, that’s my promise,” Benigno said. “I’m going to fulfill this role the best I can and I expect big things from this campus next year.”
Will Alders and Chris Wilder of the campaign group ‘5 for Yell’ were elected as Junior Yell Leaders. Senior Yell positions went to, Zachary Lawrence who served as a Junior Yell Leader this academic year, Kyle Cook and Steven Lanz.
Of the 5 elected Yell Leaders, Lanz was the only candidate not in the ‘5 for yell’ campaign group.
“I’m overwhelmed and really appreciative of all the love and support,” Lanz said. “I am excited to serve this university – I love it and everything it has done for me.”
Benigno’s experience serving as student body vice president under Kelly has made him familiar with how running student government works, Gaines said.
“He already knows the ropes of SGA and how everything works,” Gaines said. “He has a really good idea on how he wants to better serve this university.”