With SGA positions up for grabs, filing opens

The Student Government Association has officially opened filing for 2015 fall elections. 

The elections will decide who will fill the position of freshman class president as well as six Student Senate positions, including two seats in the freshmen caucus, two seats in the on-campus caucus, and a position in both the College of Liberal Arts and off-campus caucuses.

Aaron Mitchell, speaker of the Student Senate, said a lot of freshmen usually file for the few available spots in the fall each year.

“With student elections, if you really try, if you really get after it, if you really want it, you can campaign hard enough to win,” Mitchell said. “You can shake enough hands. You can hand out enough flyers. You can introduce yourself to enough people, and build their trust in you to win, if you put the work in.”  

Kallie Fuchs, nutritional sciences senior and elections commissioner, said it’s important that freshmen get plugged in on campus, and student government is one way to do so. Fuchs said freshman representation in SGA is vital for making sure the freshman population is well represented in the student government.

“As undergraduate students, freshmen represent more than a quarter of our population,” Fuchs said. “Because the freshmen class has gotten a little bit bigger each year, they’re a great percentage of our population.” 

Michael Murtha, senior psychology major and former student senator, said he thinks a lot of freshmen are interested in running for a position, and he’s looking forward to the competition that will bring. 

“I personally got to know the few freshmen representatives in the senate last year and the class president, and all three of them were outstanding individuals,” Murtha said. “They did great stuff for their class, so this is just another time where they get to choose three more people to step up and lead this class.”

Filing for candidacy ends at 3 p.m. on Wednesday.