76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Wohlgemuth a bad choice

When Aggies go to the polls March 9, they should shy away from Arlene Wohlgemuth. Wohlgemuth is no friend to A&M and has voted against students multiple times, voting for the bill to deregulate tuition and the appropriations bill cutting state funding.
Wohlgemuth was ranked twice, in 1997 and 1999, by Texas Monthly Magazine as one of the 10 worst Legislators. They said, “Arlene Wohlgemuth, whose name is enshrined in the legislative hall of infamy as the symbol of wanton, pointless destruction,” and “She violated the spirit of civility of the Legislature.”
Lastly, Arlene Wohlgemuth wrote the bill that cut over 100,000 low-income children of working parents from the health insurance roles. Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston, asked her, “You cut 130,000 kids off (the health insurance program). Are you proud of that? That we can fund roads and the governor’s program, but we can’t fund kids’ – poor kids’ – insurance? Are you embarrassed by that at all?”
“No, not at all,” Wohlgemuth answered, according to the San Antonio Express-News.
As a “symbol of wanton destruction,” and a fighter against poor children and university students, Aggies should unite against candidate Wohlgemuth.