Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Women take on No. 8 Kansas State

Texas A&M senior point guard Toccara Williams earned the Big 12 record for most steals with 433 career steals, is second in assists with 689 and has scored 1,227 points in her career. She was named Big 12 player of the week Monday, in no small part because she led the Big 12 in points and steals last week, while playing top teams.
Williams has carried the A&M women’s basketball team (8-15, 1-11 Big 12) through a hard season and will be honored during the Aggie women’s basketball game versus No. 8 Kansas State (19-3, 10-1) Wednesday with “Toccara Williams Appreciation Night” at 7 p.m. at Reed Arena.
The A&M Athletic Department, 12th Man Foundation and others have joined together to offer Williams autograph cards, which she will be available to sign after the game, free coupons for Freebirds burritos, multiple cash prizes to campus organizations and free food to 12th Man Rewards members.
A&M head coach Gary Blair said fans can turn the tide in basketball home games.
“Our fans were great, and our team was pretty good,”Blair said.
The Aggies will need the support as they take on their third straight opponent ranked in the top 10.
“(Kansas) State is looking to hammer us because they have a chance to go into the top 5,”Blair said. “The Big 12 championship will be decided between Kansas State and Texas.”
Blair said Kansas State is a strong offensive team that will switch between defenses, including a 2-3 zone.
“Offensively, they run their stuff so well, they just want to outscore you,” Blair said. “It is sorta like the Dallas Mavericks; they play defense just to hurry up and get to offense.”
Ohlde and junior forward Kendra Wecker, who both average more than 15 points a game.
“They start four great players and one good one,” Blair said. “(Kansas State head coach) Deb Patterson in her fifth year hit the lottery when she found three players within 100 miles of Manhattan, Kan. How often is that going to happen.”
Patterson said she has been impressed recently with freshman guard Claire Coggins, whose shooting percentage went up from 3.9 to 4.4 percent during conference play.
Patterson said she respects Blair and his team despite their last-place Big 12 ranking.
“I definitely don’t remember a 12th place team being as competitive and as scary as Texas A&M,”Patterson said.
Blair said his team is starting to believe in their potential.
“What good teams do is find a way to win at the end,”Blair said.
“Sometimes when teams are in losing streaks like we are, you are playing not to lose too much instead of finding that spot on the floor to celebrate.”
Blair said his team is ready to take on another top opponent.
“Our kids couldn’t tell you the difference between (No. 1) Texas and (No. 9) Tech,” Blair said. “It is just one more someone who is better than us, lets just tee it up and see.”