Women take on No. 8 Kansas State

Texas A&M senior point guard Toccara Williams earned the Big 12 record for most steals with 433 career steals, is second in assists with 689 and has scored 1,227 points in her career. She was named Big 12 player of the week Monday, in no small part because she led the Big 12 in points and steals last week, while playing top teams.
Williams has carried the A&M women’s basketball team (8-15, 1-11 Big 12) through a hard season and will be honored during the Aggie women’s basketball game versus No. 8 Kansas State (19-3, 10-1) Wednesday with “Toccara Williams Appreciation Night” at 7 p.m. at Reed Arena.
The A&M Athletic Department, 12th Man Foundation and others have joined together to offer Williams autograph cards, which she will be available to sign after the game, free coupons for Freebirds burritos, multiple cash prizes to campus organizations and free food to 12th Man Rewards members.
A&M head coach Gary Blair said fans can turn the tide in basketball home games.
“Our fans were great, and our team was pretty good,”Blair said.
The Aggies will need the support as they take on their third straight opponent ranked in the top 10.
“(Kansas) State is looking to hammer us because they have a chance to go into the top 5,”Blair said. “The Big 12 championship will be decided between Kansas State and Texas.”
Blair said Kansas State is a strong offensive team that will switch between defenses, including a 2-3 zone.
“Offensively, they run their stuff so well, they just want to outscore you,” Blair said. “It is sorta like the Dallas Mavericks; they play defense just to hurry up and get to offense.”
Ohlde and junior forward Kendra Wecker, who both average more than 15 points a game.
“They start four great players and one good one,” Blair said. “(Kansas State head coach) Deb Patterson in her fifth year hit the lottery when she found three players within 100 miles of Manhattan, Kan. How often is that going to happen.”
Patterson said she has been impressed recently with freshman guard Claire Coggins, whose shooting percentage went up from 3.9 to 4.4 percent during conference play.
Patterson said she respects Blair and his team despite their last-place Big 12 ranking.
“I definitely don’t remember a 12th place team being as competitive and as scary as Texas A&M,”Patterson said.
Blair said his team is starting to believe in their potential.
“What good teams do is find a way to win at the end,”Blair said.
“Sometimes when teams are in losing streaks like we are, you are playing not to lose too much instead of finding that spot on the floor to celebrate.”
Blair said his team is ready to take on another top opponent.
“Our kids couldn’t tell you the difference between (No. 1) Texas and (No. 9) Tech,” Blair said. “It is just one more someone who is better than us, lets just tee it up and see.”