No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Women’s chorus celebrates 40th anniversary

Womens+Chorus
Women’s Chorus

From fall festivals and holiday concerts to international tours in in Europe and Asia, the Women’s Chorus has been sharing their talent with audiences near and far since 1979.
In light of their many years of contribution to the fine arts at Texas A&M, the ladies of the Women’s Chorus are not only able to triumph in their achievements, but also able to reflect on many years of sisterhood and life-long friendships. The bonds made in the Women’s Chorus reach far beyond the four years spent at A&M.
Jacquelyn McMillon, petroleum engineering junior and Formers’ Liaison chair of the Women’s Chorus, is in charge of bringing former members and current members together.
“[Former members] plan their own events a lot of the time, but we also have get-togethers of former members and current members,” McMillon said. “We also have pen pals, and I pair current members with former members, and then they can communicate through email, regular mail and text… You form a lot of good bonds here, and so a lot people don’t want to let that go.”
The Women’s Chorus has some traditions of their own according to psychology senior and vice president of the Women’s Chorus Kellye Fernandez.
One of these includes their signature song, “I Believe.” This song is sung at the end of all performances, and not just by the current members.
“It is just about believing in the beautiful things in life,” Fernandez said. “When we are doing performances, we do it on stage, and then we invite the former members up to sing it on stage with us.”
Fernandez said their songs signify important occasions, such as the last day of being in the Women’s Choir.
“The last day, all of us come together in a circle in the choir room and we sing it and hold hands,” Fernandez said, “Every time we sing it we hold hands. There is not a dry eye in the room.”
McMillon then said that, on that last day, as they sing ‘I Believe” is “when (they) send off the people that aren’t coming back the next semester.”
When current members of the Women’s Chorus sing their last “I Believe” as a student, they know they will not have to say goodbye to the cherished moments and friends that this organization gave them.
To learn more about the Women’s Chorus, visit http://wchorus.tamu.edu/.