Women’s golf wins Big 12 Tourney

The Texas A&M Women’s golf team stormed back from three-shots down to claim the Big 12 Championship by 11-strokes over Oklahoma State.
With the wind reaching 50 miles per hour at certain points during the day, head coach Jeanne Sutherland knew short games would be key to victory.
“We decided that we need to focus on every shot and block everything else out, just take it one shot at a time,” Sutherland said. “I am really happy with the win. I knew coming into today the conditions would be an advantage for us because we have a strong short game, so it was really good for our chances.”
The Aggies final day total of 304 was the best of the round by seven shots over Colorado, and it bested second round leader OSU by 14 strokes.
Junior Ashley Knoll, who also won the individual title by six shots with a one-under par total of 215 in the blustery conditions, said her team accomplished what it set out to do from the beginning.
“We went out there just trying to play the best we could,” Knoll said. “Winning is just such a special thing, especially because we’ve made it our goal all year and it is what we came here for. The wind was a little bit of a factor, but we were used to it from our course at home, so we adjusted well.”
The Aggies three day total of 899 was a Big 12 record.
The A&M Athletic Department contributed to this article.