Yell practice to christen renovated YMCA building

After renovations and a flood that destroyed more than 40 computers in the lower level, the YMCA building will be officially reopened and rededicated.
A ceremony will be held at 3 p.m. on Thursday, in the plaza between the YMCA building and the Coke building, director of external relations, Cynthia Gay said.
[The ceremony will] feature a performance by the Singing Cadets as well as remarks from Dr. [Richard] Box chairman of the Board of Regents and [University President] R. Bowen Loftin, Gay said. Yell practice will be held immediately after on the steps of the YMCA.
The first Midnight Yell was held on the steps of the YMCA building before the Aggies played the University of Texas in a 1931 football game. This tradition continued as yell practices were held after Aggie wins.
A severe rainstorm covered the campus last February. One of the buildings most affected by the storm was the YMCA building. Water rushed into the building, completely enveloping the first floor and destroying furniture, offices and the Logic Lab.
Just before the flood, the YMCA building was slated to be officially dedicated. However, due to the widespread flooding, the ceremony was postponed to a later time.
Following the rededication ceremony, there will be a small yell practice on the steps of the YMCA Building.
A special yell practice will also be held at 6 p.m. in Kyle Field to prepare for the football game against the top-ranked University of Alabama Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa, which will take place this Saturday afternoon. A&M football coach, Kevin Sumlin will be speaking at the yell practice to rev up the audience.
Since this is an unusual Midnight Yell Practice, parking lot 62 by Kyle Field has been previously reserved for a prior event. Therefore, people attending the yell practice are being asked to park in lots 61 and 100.