Young approves grading deadline extension

Academic+Plaza
Photo by Meredith Seaver
Academic Plaza

In an email sent on behalf of the Office of the Provost, President Michael K. Young has approved a recommendation by the Faculty Senate executive committee to extend the Pass/Fail grading deadline.
Originally scheduled for April 28, Texas A&M students who will graduate this spring now have until May 7 at 6 p.m. to opt-in to the S/U grading system.
“As a result [of the extension], degrees will not be conferred until Friday, May 8,” the email stated.
All other non-degree seeking students have until May 12 to select their preferred grading option.

Rachel Hutto, a business sophomore and member of Student Senate, said many students would not have 30 to 40 percent of their overall grades for some courses in until after April 28. With the added stress of transitioning online, Hutto believed it was unfair for students to make a decision that would impact their GPAs without knowing what their grades were.

“I think A&M’s ultimate decision to move the deadline was an excellent gesture of concern for the students and their well being,” Hutto said. “While they may have hit some bumps on the way, A&M exhibited its core values of leadership, excellence, and integrity throughout this semester.”
For more information regarding this semester’s grading policies, students are encouraged to visit the Office for Student Success and the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies.