5 takeaways from the first presidential debate of 2016

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump took the stage Monday in the first of three presidential debates. Assistant news editor Brad Canon gives his five takeaways.

1. Clinton kept her composure and it worked

Regardless of how anyone feels about either candidate, Hillary Clinton’s ability to keep her composure and not give into Trump’s accusations ultimately benefited her in the debate. Clinton refused to let Trump rattle her while delivering her policies and it showed a confidence that many candidates who have previously faced off with Trump in debates did not have. It will pay off for Clinton with voters.

2. Trump has been, is and always will be a wolf

The one thing that Trump has going for him more than anything else is an unmatched ability to attack candidates. Trump stuck to his guns monday night by coming out explosively towards Clinton. He attacked her at points regarding her e-mail scandal, tax policy and gun rights. Trump remained hard-headed and determined, and didn’t make an effort to look idealistically presidential, which is what his followers wanted to see.

3. When you fact-check Trump it can get scary

Since the beginning of the Trump debate story, the moderators have not always taken the chance to fact check him. Despite the charisma of Donald Trump, amidst all the excitement there is often floating misinformation. Moderator Lester Holt didn’t pass up these chances Monday night. Holt, in particular, questioned Trump on New York’s “stop and frisk law” and instances in which Trump claimed it would be a great law in Chicago. But Holt informed Trump of its unconstitutional ruling.

4. First time Trump has noticeably prepped for a debate since the birth of his campaign

Monday night was the first time Trump has come truly prepared to a debate. Both candidates were ready with policy, opinion on accusations and personal goals as president. But Trump sounded prepared and ready to respond and answer questions analytically and professionally. Clinton’s plan at the debates has to be to earn voter support through a professional and understanding view of what it takes to be president. However, Trump will not let her get by that easily as he showed Monday.

5. Get over the past and focus on the future

Time and time again both candidates use history and old issues to somehow show what the future is going to be like. Monday night became too much of a history lesson, but Americans don’t need a lesson they need results. Whichever candidate focuses on laying a clear path on how to go forward as a country will win the presidency. They both have plans, so let’s hear numbers, let’s hear statistical goals and less fluff.