Colorful hot dog spot makes strong Texas debut

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

The bacon werewolf hot dog is Dat Dog’s best seller.

Dat Dog is an established hot dog chain in Louisiana that has recently made its first steps into the Texas market.
Highly acclaimed in its home state, the franchise now offers its signature brand of exotic hot dogs and burgers at locations in College Station and Houston.
When I walked into the Northgate location, situated at 101 Church Ave., the first thing I noticed were the colors. Everything in the restaurant is painted pink, blue, yellow or green. There are flags hanging from the ceiling, and every inch of space is bathed in bright light. The location is a bar-restaurant hybrid, and several people were sitting at the wood-topped bar on metal stools. As is the case with many bars in the area, Dat Dog closes at 2 a.m. on weekends and midnight on weeknights.
The second thing I noticed upon entering was the menu. Options range from the classic Chicago dog to more interesting choices like a dog made from alligator or crawfish meat. I eventually settled on something called a bacon werewolf, ordered at the brightly painted counter and took my seat.
The food was brought to the table quickly in paper-lined plastic baskets. One for the hot dog, and a separate basket full of fries. The dog itself was drizzled in mustard, topped with bacon and lined with relish. The bun was delightfully sweet, and the sausage was flavorful and filling. When it arrived, the dog was topped almost to overflow, and I ended up making good use of the fork delivered with the food just to eat all the toppings that fell off. The hot dog by itself was enough to make a meal out of, but the best part was still yet to come.
Dat Dog’s fries are some of the best I’ve ever tasted. They were crispy on the outside, battered and fried to perfection. They were perfectly salted and had some kind of additional seasoning to add extra flavor. Mine came out hot and fresh and it was all I could do to keep from eating them all and forgetting about the hot dog entirely. Honestly, I would consider going to Dat Dog for the fries alone.
The portions were ample, but the prices seemed just a tad high. Some of the more exotic dog options were priced upwards of eight dollars and although the fries were well worth it, they were an extra three dollars or so on top of the price of the dog. Add to that a drink, which as far as I could tell only came in size small, and a meal at Dat Dog could cost you upwards of $15.
All things considered, Dat Dog is well worth the trip and the money. The menu is interesting and varied, the food is absolutely delicious, the portions are well sized, the Northgate location is convenient and though the prices may seem high for a hot dog, the food is well worth it. I definitely plan to return to Dat Dog in the future and you should check it out as well. Let’s give this Louisiana staple a proper Texas welcome.

• Dat Dog

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett
  • Dat Dog is a hot dog restaurant that recently opened on Northgate.

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett