Column: respect is earned and Trump hasn’t earned it

What most Americans once considered inconceivable is now a reality: Donald Trump is slated to become the 45th President of the United States of America. A man who disrespects women, completely disregards millions of American’s health, attempts to discredit the free press and has suspicious ties to and openly supports one of America’s top enemies is now our commander in chief.
Trump has made history, not only as the first president to have no political experience, but he is also coming in as the president with the lowest approval rating upon election — 53 percent of Americans don’t think he can do the job. Most of the other 47 percent have begrudgingly accepted that Trump is now our president. They reason that while they may not support him, they do believe he deserves respect due to his high standing.
I am not one of those hesitantly optimistic citizens for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, I believe respect is something that should be earned, not freely given simply because of someone’s high standing in society. So far, despite his claimed acumen as a businessman,  Trump has done nothing to earn my respect. Furthermore, I don’t think he will be a successful president based on his policy proposals thus far and recent actions.
At the forefront of issues at this point is his promise to repeal the Affordable Care Act; Republicans in the Senate have been successful so far in voting to repeal crucial — and arguably the most vital for Americans — parts of the ACA. Should this proposal pass through the Republican-controlled House, up to 18 million Americans could lose their health care within a year, and 32 million more within 10 years. I am directly affected by this. I currently have a medical condition that requires prescription medications; currently I pay $9 each month total on medications. Should Obamacare be repealed, I will be forced to pay upwards of $1,200 each month for these vital medications. As a student putting myself through college, I simply can’t afford that each month. My biggest issue with the impending and imminent repeal of Obamacare is the fact that while Republicans claim they’ll replace it, currently they have no plan in place. It took the ACA over two years to finally pass and be enacted. Millions of Americans don’t have that kind of time.
Trump is a man who has not only shown absolutely no respect for women, but he has been publicly accused of sexually assaulting multiple women. Just the other day, a Connecticut republican was arrested for grabbing a female colleague’s genitals after a disagreement. His excuse? “I no longer have to be politically correct.”
This is merely a preview of what’s to come in Trump’s America. Many Republicans openly stated they had no respect for Obama, yet now they’re telling Americans they need to support and respect Trump, whether or not they agree with his policies. Why should I be expected to respect a man — especially a man who has no respect for myself as a woman — simply because he is the president? Why should anyone be required to respect another person?
Grace Neumann is an English junior and a page designer for The Battalion.