Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas at Olsen Field on Thursday, May 16, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
No. 5 Aggies outlast No. 3 Razorbacks in 11-inning pitchers duel

If you’re a fan of high-scoring baseball, Thursday’s matchup between No. 5 Texas A&M and No. 3 Arkansas probably wasn’t for you. But...

Most anticipated albums of 2023

Photos via WikiCommons

2023 to bring new music from big names

New year, new music. 

The start of 2023 appears to have brought some of our favorite artists out of the woodworks. With recent announcements from big names such as Miley Cyrus, Lana Del Rey and A$AP Rocky, 2023 is shaping up to be a promising year of new releases, producing standouts across multiple genres and activity from artists who have recently been a little too quiet for our liking. 

Here’s what’s on the way.

Lana Del Rey — “Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd” 

March 24

To the delight of her fans, Lana Del Rey’s ninth studio album is officially on the way. The rather lengthily titled, “Did You Know That There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd,” was announced in December on the singer’s private instagram account, along with the release of the album’s title-track and lead single. Del Rey has also since announced the entire 16-song tracklist, which includes features from The Bleachers, Father John Misty, Tommy Genesis and Jon Batiste. While the album was originally set to be released on Friday, March 10, it has now been pushed back two weeks to March 24, increasing anticipation for Del Rey’s newest project even further. 

A$AP Rocky —  “Don’t Be Dumb”

Release date TBA

On Thursday, Dec. 8, during his Amazon Music Live concert, A$AP Rocky announced to audience members that his new album, “Don’t Be Dumb” (2023) is officially finished. The concert, which included performances of several unreleased tracks and Rocky’s newest single “Same Problems,” is the first real confirmation of the rapper’s fourth studio album, which follows his 2018 release “Testing.” While no information regarding the album’s release date or tracklist has been announced, Rocky’s recent activity strongly suggests that “Don’t Be Dumb” will be released within the next year. 

Miley Cyrus —  “Endless Summer Vacation”

March 10

On Monday, Jan. 5, Miley Cyrus announced the release of her eighth studio album, “Endless Summer Vacation” (2023). Following an announcement made the previous day for the album’s lead single “Flowers,” Cyrus posted a cryptic Lana Del Ray-esque spoken word piece to both her Instagram and TikTok, debuting “Endless Summer Vacation” to the public, and leaving fans anxious for the arrival of March 10. “Flowers,” which was released Friday, Jan. 13, broke Spotify’s record for the most-streamed song in a single week, and is currently sparking debate about Cyrus’s relationship with her ex-husband, Australian actor Liam Hemsworth. While a tracklist has yet to be released for the album, Cyrus described “Endless Summer Vacation” as a love letter to Los Angeles, and has promoted the album rollout with a vintage California glam. 

boygenius —  “The Record” 

March 31

In a triumphant and well overdue return to the spotlight, supergroup boygenius announced the release of their debut LP, “The Record” (2023) on Wednesday, Jan. 18. The group, made up of indie rock idols Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus, has been radio silent since the release of their debut EP “boygenius” (2018), leaving fans wondering if and when the artists would collaborate on another project. The group’s announcement of “The Record” included a complete list of 12 track titles, and the release of three new songs – “$20,” “True Blue” and “Emily I’m Sorry.” They are also set to perform at this year’s Coachella on Saturday, April 15 & 22. 

The National —  “First Two Pages of Frankenstein”

April 28

On Wednesday, Jan. 18, alternative rock band The National announced the release of their ninth studio album, “First Two Pages of Frankenstein” (2023). The album, which will include features from artists such as Phoebe Bridgers and Taylor Swift, is set to be released on April 28 and will be followed by a world tour beginning in late May. The album’s lead single, “Tropic Morning News” was released the same day of the album’s announcement, and is one of eleven tracks on “First Two Pages of Frankenstein.”

Paramore —  “This Is Why” 

February 10

Paramore’s long-awaited sixth studio album “This Is Why” (2023) will officially be released in less than one month. The album, which was announced in September of 2022, will be the band’s first project since “After Laughter” (2017), ending a nearly six year hiatus for the group, and bringing their alternative pop-rock sound back into the spotlight. The album’s lead single and title-track, “This Is Why” was released in September of 2022 and has since been accompanied by singles “The News” and “C’est Comme Ça.”

Other anticipated releases of 2023 include Fall Out Boy’s, “So Much (for) Stardust,” Metallica’s “72 Seasons,” and Lil Uzi Vert’s and Travis Scott’s rumored 2023 releases, “Pink Tape” and “Utopia.”