Editorial board: Rusty’s example will continue to serve Texas A&M

Texas A&M is made better by many, but few had so large an impact on the tradition and spirit that sets our university apart like Rusty Thompson.
Rusty’s name may not be familiar to many outside of Koldus, but his selfless work impacted most Aggies for the 20-odd years he worked at the university. He advised the yell leaders and Muster Committee at different points in his service, and mentored hundreds of students as director of Student Activities.
Rusty Thompson was the best Texas A&M had to offer. He was kind and compassionate; he was forgiving and welcoming. He was patient and generous with his time in a way few men and women can claim, and he was a father figure to generations of Aggies. His death leaves an empty hole not only in the hearts of thousands of students, but in the campus we are fortunate to call home.
The Battalion editorial staff did not know Rusty. But through our coverage of his heart attack in early March and the outpouring of support for his health and family from all points of this university, his impact is clear.
In the few short days since The Battalion decided to put this memorial together, our phones, emails and social media accounts have been flooded with the reflections from fellow Aggies. Family and friends, co-workers and casual acquaintances all knew Rusty in different settings — father, mentor, manager. But no matter the context, all were treated with the love and a deep respect.
It has been a privilege to come to know Rusty through the eyes of those who loved him. And it is heartbreaking to realize the great man described by so many no longer walks this campus. The legacy Rusty crafted with every lesson, conversation and warm smile, however, burns brightly in the hearts of countless Aggies.
For the university he so selflessly served, Rusty will always be “here.”