Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

‘Everyone is fighting a battle of their own’

For HelpLine Awareness Week, The Battalion will publish daily guest columns written by HelpLine’s volunteers. As anonymity is a concern due to the nature of HelpLine calls, The Battalion has granted the guest columnists the use of pseudonyms.
Volunteering at HelpLine has tremendously shaped my Aggie experience. Through this organization, I am able to commit to one of the most important core values at Texas A&M University — selfless service. The opportunity to interact with these callers amplified my compassion and ignited the enthusiasm that drives me to fulfill my lifelong dream — serving others as a career. It gave me an outlet where I can do what I love.
HelpLine allowed me to hone in on my desire to be there for someone else when they feel as though they have no one else to be there for them. Comments like, “I appreciate you listening to me,” and, “Thank you for being there,” made all the time invested into      volunteering worthwhile. The callers’ candor about their personal stories developed me into a more empathetic, understanding and well-rounded person. They helped me see that each individual has a different perspective of the world and their own diverse journey.
Through these exposures, I found myself implementing the same non-judgmental sensitivity into my everyday life. After all, everyone is fighting a battle of their own. Each time I come in for a shift, I know that I could potentially save a life, and that in itself is the utmost reward. This is my chance to create a change and positively transform the student body. Whether it is getting someone suicidal immediate help, giving a sexual assault victim the resources they need, or simply listening to a caller’s current concerns, I am wholeheartedly dedicated to being there for each individual. Therefore, I am forever indebted to HelpLine for how I grew into the person I am today.
Camille,
Class of 2016