Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Join the ‘churning sea of maroon’ Friday night

FILE
FILE

As summer gives way to fall, students trade their swimsuits for textbooks and alumni dust off their tailgating gear, Americans across this beautiful nation of ours prepare for the most wonderful season of the year: college football. I would make references to the leaves changing and the temperature dropping but that picturesque stuff happens where the football isn’t very good. Down here in Aggieland we leave the sweaters in the attic, make sure we have our 12th Man towel and get ready to yell. Leave the pep rallies where they belong: in high school. It’s time for Midnight Yell.
Everywhere we’ve traveled in the SEC, the fans have commented on how respectful Aggies are, how ridiculously amazing the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band looks and what a great tradition we have in Midnight Yell. They want to know more about the tradition, sometimes want to participate and will even flash a Gig ’em in pictures. Midnight Yell is special for us Yell Leaders and away game Yell practice can provide a great snapshot into the Aggie Spirit for the locals. However, there’s nothing quite like standing down on Kyle at Midnight and watching the 12th Man.
If you think the yells sound loud in the stands, you should experience them down on the field. The force behind the yell at the end of the Spirit of Aggieland, the churning sea of maroon as we saw varsity’s horns off during the War Hymn and the always louder volume of “Beat the Hell” creates a thundering atmosphere akin to the days when I would stand on the sidewalk in Washington, D.C., as Rolling Thunder would barrel past. It almost makes me feel bad that students and players at schools like UCLA, South Carolina, Ohio State and t.u. don’t ever get to experience the rush. Almost.
Get fired up, Ags, because it all starts Friday night at Kyle. The athletes work out and practice all week to represent this great University, so it’s our job to be motivated and yell as loud as we can as the 12th Man. So to the current students and former students alike, we can’t wait to see you at Kyle Field Friday night as we get ready to beat the ever livin’ HELL outta Lamar!
Gig ’em!