Obama delivers final State of the Union Address

President Barack Obama gave his final State of the Union Address Tuesday night, focusing on the future of America rather than specifying particular proposals he has for the next year. The address was centered around four specific questions for America’s future:
1: How can the United States guarantee jobs and job security to Americans?
Obama discussed the current strengths of America’s economy, and said those who claim it’s in decline are “peddling fiction.” But he mentioned wealth inequality as a problem that juxtaposes American beliefs. He also discussed education reform, and highlighted plans to make Pre-K available everywhere as well as plans to ensure responsible students have two years of free community college guaranteed.
2: How can the United States make technology work for it, not against it?
Obama then turned to the idea of innovation, and listed a series of historic Americans in hopes of reigniting the innovation America has been known for. He called for America to be the first country to cure cancer and move towards clean energy – suggesting a lightener reliance on foreign oil and a heavier emphasis on environmental concerns.
3: How can the United States keep America safe without becoming the world’s police?
Obama’s next point centered around the fact that the United States spends more on the military than the next eight nations combined and is still the most powerful country on Earth. Yet a terrorist threat demands attention, one that Obama said America needs to take out. He then condemned any politics revolving around race or religion, saying that a hatred of Muslims betrays what the United States is as a country.
4: How can the United States make its politics reflect what’s best in its people?
Obama’s final point focused on the trend of money in politics. He claimed that the ability of big families and corporations to influence elections needs to come to an end. He also said gerrymandering needs to be reversed, so voters can chose their politicians and not the other way around. Obama then called for the modernization of voting and an end to arbitrary regulations. As a closing statement, Obama called for the people to be pioneers of the reform they want to see, saying “unarmed truth and unconditional love” will have the final word and that the state of the union is strong.