“Reasonably Sound” is easy on the ears and fun for the mind

Reasonably Sound podcast host Mike Rugnetta discusses different sound related topics from the history of applause to the origins of sound effects.

If you’re looking for a podcast that’s as clever as it is different, try Reasonably Sound.
Host, Mike Rugnetta talks about a wide variety of subjects relating to the concept of sound. Rugnetta is best known for his work on the educational and entertaining PBS Ideas Channel on YouTube, and his podcast displays the same level of calm insight and somewhat dry humor. If you, like me, loved Ideas Channel and were sad to see it end, Reasonably Sound is the perfect follow up, though it is much more singular in subject matter.
In each episode, Rugnetta covers a subject relating to sound in some way. A prime example would be the two episodes that cover ASMR and Misophonia, two conditions that can result in acute pleasure or pain, respectively, associated with certain sounds. Rugnetta goes into detail describing the history and symptoms associated with these conditions, but not into so much detail that it drags. Most episodes unravel in this way, and while some are connected, most are free of context.
If you want to try out this podcast, the best way to do it would be to just open the feed and find an episode title that interests you. This also means that it is a great drop in/drop out podcast; you can really just listen to the episodes that interest you.
Other examples of episode subjects include the history of applause, why digital assistants such as Siri or Alexa sound the way they do and the origins of common sound effects. If any of these interest you, I strongly encourage you to take a look. With only a few dozen episodes, the backlog is very easy to search for subjects that pique your interest.
Beyond simply covering fascinating subjects, the podcast benefits greatly from the disposition of the host. Rugnetta has an oddly soothing voice and an exceptionally relaxing demeanor. This synergizes well with the informational nature of the podcast, because it really makes it easy to chill out and get yourself in the right mindset to receive information. Often with educational podcasts, I can zone out, miss a lot of critical points and have to rewind to catch them. Reasonably Sound keeps my attention with Rugnetta’s comfortable humor and gentle attitude.
The biggest negative about Reasonably Sound is the infrequent upload schedule. The last episode was from September, and though that is not representative of the typical pace of the podcast, you should not expect or rely on this show to be published with any level of regularity. Still, the host has no plans of completely stopping the podcast as far as I can tell, and I will continue to enjoy the soothing experience and interesting trivia offered by Rugnetta.