The Academy Awards: Picks for Best Picture

Photo by Graphic by: Jacob Martindale
Room & Brooklyn

“Brooklyn”

“Brooklyn” is a historical period drama directed by John Crowley and starring Saoirse Ronan as Eilis Lacey, an Irish 20-something who travels to America in search of a new life. Nominated for best actress, best adapted screenplay and best picture, “Brooklyn” is a long, sprawling tale about the search for home and the power of love. 

While some were upset that “Brooklyn” didn’t get a nod for best costuming or production design, its nomination for best picture is easily earned. It’s a genuinely heartwarming film that’s emotionally and intellectually satisfying.  

That said, don’t expect “Brooklyn” to take home the best picture trophy. It’s possible that Saoirse Ronan will win best actress for her performance but against the heavy drama of “Spotlight” and “Bridge of Spies,” “Brooklyn” may be too light for best picture. It is a fantastic example of film making, but it doesn’t push the envelope in any significant way. Regardless, if you haven’t seen “Brooklyn” and are a fan of historical, romantic dramas, it comes easily recommended.

“Room”

“Room” is a mystery drama directed by Lenny Abrahamson and starring Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay as Joy and Jack, respectively, as they undergo years of domestic abuse before escaping into the outside world. Nominated for best actress, best director, best adapted screenplay and best picture, “Room” is about the relationship between mother Joy and son Jack, and the love that holds them together despite suffocating circumstances. What could have been a dark, gritty film in the wrong hands became one of the most hopeful and uplifting film experiences of 2015, which solidifies its place in the best picture running.

While centered around a difficult premise, the main performances of Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay are exceptional, and may be enough to net “Room” the best picture award. 

Brie Larson’s performance as Joy is remarkable, and it displays an enormous emotional range for the actress. I fully expect the best actress trophy for Larson, and am honestly a little disappointed Tremblay didn’t get any nods for his masterful performance as Jack. It’s anyone’s guess, but betting on “Room” looks like a solid move. Catch it if you haven’t.