Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

The power of sports after disaster strikes

Photo by File

Aggie football will travel to California to play their first game of the season, a little over a week after Hurricane Harvey devastating Texas.

Sometimes, in the wake of a disaster, act of evil or time of hardship, people look for an outlet to distract themselves ­—even it’s just for an afternoon. One of those distractions often times is sports.
 In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, there have been some on social media who are opposed to major sporting events still taking place after the devastation of Harvey, including Sunday’s Texas A&M-UCLA game.
Earlier this week I felt that it was disrespectful for me to be excited for the return of college football when millions of people less than 100 miles from me were losing everything.
However, after a long talk with my mom, she said something that I just couldn’t ignore. She reminded me that while the majority of the victims are going through some of the worst times of their life, they want to be able to root for something thats bigger than them, even if it’s for a little amount time.
That idea got me thinking about the power of sports and what it can do to bring people together even in the darkest of times.
When the September 11 attacks occurred, the NFL canceled the second week of the season. However, when all play resumed, the nations response was one of overwhelming sense of unity. The events that transpired that Tuesday morning were for a moment—even if it was brief — not on the minds of Americans.
The great thing about sports is that no matter what your political affiliation, race, gender or anything for that matter, it can always unite — even if you aren’t a regular fan.
Another moment, one of which is close to the hearts of thousands of Aggies, is Bonfire. Last November, I had the opportunity to speak with former A&M head football coach R.C. Slocum. What he said will stay with me for the rest time.
“I thought the game — with our students and with what had happened — it would all be better as an Aggie family and stick together,” Slocum said. “I thought there would be some healing for everybody and some consolation.”
The game, which was played in College Station, was dedicated to the 12 Aggies we lost that November night. It embodied the Aggie Core Value of loyalty, loyal to one another and to everyone who was dealing with the tragedy.  
All of this brings me to think about the importance of the A&M game on Sunday. The Greater Houston area is home to many who have ties to Aggieland and have endured the worst week of their lives. Not only that, several players have direct ties to the disaster, like sophomore Trayveon Williams, whose family was rescued by the Coast Guard.
This game gives those people something to look forward to even if it’s just for a few hours. For a moment in time all they have to worry about is the Aggies bringing a win back to Texas and making their first visit to the Rose Bowl a memorable one.
Angel Franco is a telecommunication media studies junior and sports editor for The Battalion.