The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

5 basketball takeaways

1. The Kennedy Era
Despite a sour ending to the regular season, Texas A&M has improved in each of its four regular seasons under head coach Billy Kennedy. A&M’s record (20-10,11-7) marks the highest regular season win total since Kennedy arrived in 2011. And if his history as a head coach at Southeastern Louisiana and Murray State are of any indication, this upward trend should only continue.
2. The wrong kind of peaking
Ever heard the saying, “You want to peak toward the end of the season?” Well if there’s any truth to it, the future for Texas A&M basketball — men’s and women’s — does not appear to be bright as they embark on postseason play. The teams are a combined 2-6 since Feb. 24. The men are riding a two game losing streak into their conference tournament while the women were ousted in the second game of theirs.
3. Tournament longings
Following an 80-55 thrashing of Auburn on Feb. 28, Texas A&M had its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2011 in sight. Just over a week removed from that game and A&M’s tournament hopes are fading. ESPN has expunged them from its latest bracketology projections, suggesting they will need a strong showing in the upcoming SEC Tournament to recapture hope for Selection Sunday.
4. House is a must
For the Aggies to make one final push toward the NCAA Tournament, the health of junior forward Danuel House will be requisite. The Aggies are 2-2 without their leading scorer, who sat out Saturday due to a nagging foot injury. At 6-foot-7, 200 pounds, House’s athleticism and versatility match up well with the rosters of teams like Kentucky, a squad the Aggies would meet, hypothetically, in the tournament semifinals.
5. The killer instinct
Texas A&M lacked the ability to close out a 14-point first-half lead Saturday against a team with a sub .500 conference record. A&M came out of the break lacking energy and allowed a few controversial officiating decisions to get underneath its skin. The result was a squandered lead within eight minutes. Kennedy and his players, following Saturday’s game, could not pinpoint exactly why the team fell flat in the second half, but efforts like Saturday’s may not only have cut short A&M’s NCAA Tournament hopes, but its conference tournament run as well.