5 Takeaways from the win against Mississippi State

Photo by Cody Franklin
Baseball vs. Mississippi State 16

1. A&M’s bullpen is fantastic
The Aggie bullpen has been put in precarious situations this season, but every time it comes through in a big way. Through the series, the pen allowed two runs on only six total hits. In two of the three games, the relievers pitched scoreless baseball. Ryan Hendrix has been a machine in the relief role. This weekend, Hendrix worked a total of five innings, and in those innings, he pitched scoreless, hitless baseball. He has conceded only one earned run all year, and has five saves to his name. Mark Ecker picked up his sixth save this season on Friday, and even in a tough situation still managed to get the outs he needed to secure the win.
2. Logan Taylor is a name all pitchers need to know 
Logan Taylor has been putting on a slugging clinic this season. So far in 2015, Taylor has hit .357 with eight home runs, which leads the team, and 30 RBIs. He hit two huge home runs this weekend for the Aggies, and he hit 5-for-11 (.454) with three RBIs in the three-game series. Taylor is a powerful hitter who can make any pitcher nervous when he is at the plate. 
3. Grayson Long is A&M’s ace on the mound
The Aggie pitching staff has had to deal with some injuries this year. Before the year began, the Aggies lost Tyler Stubblefield to an ACL injury, and in the middle of their undefeated run they lost Friday night starter AJ Minter to Tommy John surgery for the year. Enter Grayson Long, who has been lights out for A&M this year. During his start on Friday night, Long worked seven innings, allowing only one unearned run on three hits with four strikeouts on 116 pitches. Long is 7-0 this year with a 2.12 ERA. Moving forward, Long will continue the role of the Friday night pitcher.
 4. Nick Banks is deserving of his All-American status
Nick Banks has been tearing up pitchers this season. Banks has a .417 average with 26 RBIs. More impressively, he has reached base safely in all 35 games and is on a 13-game hitting streak. In the series this weekend, Banks hit a grand slam on Sunday, and for the weekend he hit 4-for-12 (.333) with four RBIs. He was named an All-American during the pre-season, and he has proven himself worthy of that title.
 5. No matter the score, A&M is never out of the game
 All year, A&M has come back from having its back against the wall, but no matter the final outcome, the Aggies always find a way to hang around until the end. Saturday, Mississippi State played its best game of the season, and the Aggies still had an opportunity to win the ballgame in the ninth inning. No matter the matchup, the Aggies will be a tough outing for any team they face for the remainder of the season.