Graduate P Shaylee Ackerman (10) pitches during Texas A&Ms game against Valpo on Feb. 10, 2024 at Davis Diamond.
Holding down the house
Holding down the house

59-0: Takeaways from the shut out in Tuscaloosa

Mark Doré — THE BATTALION A&M traveled to Bryant-Denny Stadium Saturday to face Alabama.

1. Shut out – The Aggies suffered their first shutout loss in 11 years Saturday. The last time the Aggies failed to score a point came in a 77-0 road loss to Oklahoma in 2003. The 59-point margin of defeat was also the second largest in school history, and it was also the first time head coach Kevin Sumlin suffered a shutout loss as an FBS head coach.
2. Tough sledding – A&M had the fewest total yards of offense under Sumlin to date, totaling just 172 while averaging 3.1 yards per play. The Aggies set a record for an Alabama opponent with 628 yards of offense against the Tide in last season’s matchup.
3. Losing streak – The Aggies have now lost three consecutive games for the first time since 2011 and the first time under Sumlin. All three losses came to teams currently ranked in the top-four of the AP Poll. A&M has not lost four consecutive games since 2005.
4. Kaser for Heisman – Junior punter Drew Kaser had a career-high nine punts against Alabama. His previous high of eight came against Missouri in 2013. Kaser averaged 45 yards per punt and had three punts of over 50 yards.
5. Leader in tackles – Sophomore linebacker Shaan Washington led the Aggies with 10 tackles, the first double-digit tackle game of his career as well as his first time leading the team in tackles.