A cut above

Photos by Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION
Agricultural economics sophomore Osagie Aisueni serves as the team barber for A&M men’s basketball, providing haircuts to players like senior Antwan Space.
Photos by Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION Agricultural economics sophomore Osagie Aisueni serves as the team barber for A&M men’s basketball, providing haircuts to players like senior Antwan Space.

Whether boxing out for a rebound or hustling for a loose ball, every Texas A&M men’s basketball player works toward the same end goal — cutting down the nets in March.
As for “cuts” during the season, the players look to agricultural economics sophomore Osagie Aisueni as their team barber to ensure they look good on and off the court.
After finding in high school the clippers his mother used to cut his and his brother’s hair, Aisueni took them to his football locker room at Clear Brook High School and “the rest was history.”
Better known to the team as “Osagie the Don,” Aisueni has been edging up the hairstyles of College Station’s best ballers since arriving in Aggieland.
“My freshman year I lived at the [Callaway] Villas,” Aisueni said. “A lot of people started getting haircuts from me. Word got around, and Fabyon Harris came and tested the waters and the whole team was hooked.”
As a student balancing school with his artistic talents, “the Don” typically cuts hair at his home due to such a busy schedule. However, he’s been known to move around while crafting his work.
“I go to Reed Arena before the games sometimes because they have a nice barber chair in the locker room,” Aisueni said. “Once, I cut Davonte [Fitzgerald’s] hair in his kitchen. He made me a pizza, too.”
Aisueni said he enjoys the conversations he is able to have with the athletes, as well as the platform it allows to share his thoughts.
“My favorite thing about cutting the basketball players’ hair is hearing each person’s story of where they came from,” Aisueni said. “It’s cool to see a bunch of guys from different places all come to one place for one purpose — basketball. I also enjoy getting to share my life with people. Telling them how I am passionate about Jesus, and how he has changed my life. That’s where my business name comes from, [Kingdom Kuts], because it’s all about glorifying God’s kingdom while cutting hair. Being able to cut at the level I do is truly a blessing.”
Styling the domes of Reed’s finest gives Aisueni a firsthand look at just how much athletes care about their appearance. Every haircut is a new challenge, as every client wants something different.
“I definitely enjoy cutting Tony [Trocha-Morelos]’ mohawk,” Aisueni said. “It’s always fun fading up his sides. Plus he has good hair so his fades are always really detailed and sharp. Avery [Johnson] is probably the most high-maintenance athlete. He has that flat top that takes a lot of work.”
As for which athlete he would like to use as his next canvas, Aisueni has his sights set on A&M’s freshman quarterback.
“I would cut Kyle Allen’s hair,” Aisueni said. “I can tell he goes to like, Sports Clips, which I am not a fan of. I would give him a light fade all around with a combover pompadour in the front. Take his swag to the next level for real.”
After a home win over Arizona State on Saturday to push its record to 6-1, the Texas A&M men’s basketball team will face Baylor in Waco on Tuesday in its next matchup. If they keeps winning, the players might find themselves in the spotlight. Aisueni will be close by throughout the season making sure they look great doing it.

• Photos by Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION Agricultural economics sophomore Osagie Aisueni serves as the team barber for A&M men’s basketball, providing haircuts to players like senior Antwan Space.