Texas A&M infielder Amari Harper (13) looks down during Texas A&M’s game against Houston at Davis Diamond. on Tuesday, April 23, 2024. (Rocio Salgado/ The Battalion)
Not enough

Texas A&M Student Media is proud to announce its new editors-in-chief of its three publications. Neuroscience freshman Amy Leigh Steward...

Senior Carson Branstine hits the ball during Texas A&Ms match against A&M Corpus Christi in the NCAA Womens Tennis tournament on Saturday, may 4, 2024, at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Adriano Espinosa/The Battalion)
No. 13 A&M women’s tennis sweeps A&M-Corpus Christi

No. 13 Texas A&M women’s tennis met Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday, May 4 at the Mitchell...

Not enough
Texas A&M outfielder Braden Montgomery (6) at the warm up circle during Texas A&M’s game against Mississippi State on Saturday, March 23, 2024, at Olsen Field. (Chris Swann/ The Battalion)
Comedy of errors
Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Nervous about graduating? Opinion writer Nihan Iscan says there are great opportunities in not knowing your ideal career role. (File photo by Meredith Seaver)
Opinion: Embrace the unknown after graduation
Nihan Iscan, Opinion Writer • April 28, 2024

Graduation countdown has begun, and if you are anything like me, you're probably dealing with a whirlwind of emotions ranging from excitement...

Advantage A&M: Aggies pounce on Tigers

A&M women’s tennis is now on a four-game winning streak after a match with LSU
Photo by Connor May
Junior Jeanette Mireles returns the ball at Texas A&M’s match against Kentucky at the Outdoor Mitchell Tennis Center on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Connor May/The Battalion)

The No. 13 Texas A&M women’s tennis team took on the No. 39 LSU Tigers on Friday, March 29, taming them 6-1 at the W.T. ‘Dub’ Robinson Championship courts. The Aggies, now 12-3 against the Tigers all-time, are 6-1 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

The match started with doubles play as sophomore Nicole Khirin and graduate Sydney Fitch went up against junior Gaby Rivera and graduate Maya Tahan to grab A&M’s first doubles match of the night, 6-3. The Aggies on Court 3 had a slow start as LSU was up initially, but A&M took the lead thanks to Khirin’s smash shots toward the front of the court as both Tigers stayed put on the baseline.

Freshman Lucciana Perez and junior Jeanette Mireles took on graduate Aran Teixido Garcia and junior Florentine Dekkers on Court 2. The Tigers’ duo is notably the highest scoring when it comes to doubles as it has gone 14-8 this season, but could not keep up with Perez’s quick responses across the court. Perez was a dominant force on the court as she shuffled from the baseline toward the net, continuously taking on both players. Their 6-4 win led to A&M clinching doubles, 1-0.

Khirin holds the team’s largest singles win streak at 15. She went up against Dekkers on Court 2 and had no issue responding to the topspin shots with a quick backhand. The quick response was not enough as she was the only A&M player who lost, 4-6, 4-6 on Court 2.

Perez continued her winning streak on Court 4 against Tahan with swift responses towards the Tiger leading to several shots hitting the net. Tahan lost her stripes to Perez, 6-3, 6-3.

Sophomore Daria Smetannikov was the first A&M player to win both sets 6-2, 6-2 against freshman Emma Grant. Shortly after, Mireles took down freshman Kenna Erickson on Court 5, 6-2, 6-1, winning her 15th match of the year.

No. 1 Mary Stoiana went against Teixido and clinched the match, 6-3, 6-1, marking her 25th singles victory of the season.

LSU junior Anita Sahdiieva’s perfect 11-0 singles record was hunted down by No. 36 sophomore Mia Kupres as she went for cross-court shots. Kupres won 6-2, 7-5, and allowed the Aggies to win 6-1.

“Another very decisive SEC win and on the road,” coach Mark Weaver said. “We are playing some very good tennis right now and our confidence continues to grow every match.”

A&M is set to play Missouri at the Mizzou Tennis Complex on Friday, April 5 in Columbia, Missouri at 2 p.m.

View Comments (1)