76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Advantage A&M: Aggies pounce on Tigers

A&M women’s tennis is now on a four-game winning streak after a match with LSU
Photo by Connor May
Junior Jeanette Mireles returns the ball at Texas A&M’s match against Kentucky at the Outdoor Mitchell Tennis Center on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Connor May/The Battalion)

The No. 13 Texas A&M women’s tennis team took on the No. 39 LSU Tigers on Friday, March 29, taming them 6-1 at the W.T. ‘Dub’ Robinson Championship courts. The Aggies, now 12-3 against the Tigers all-time, are 6-1 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

The match started with doubles play as sophomore Nicole Khirin and graduate Sydney Fitch went up against junior Gaby Rivera and graduate Maya Tahan to grab A&M’s first doubles match of the night, 6-3. The Aggies on Court 3 had a slow start as LSU was up initially, but A&M took the lead thanks to Khirin’s smash shots toward the front of the court as both Tigers stayed put on the baseline.

Freshman Lucciana Perez and junior Jeanette Mireles took on graduate Aran Teixido Garcia and junior Florentine Dekkers on Court 2. The Tigers’ duo is notably the highest scoring when it comes to doubles as it has gone 14-8 this season, but could not keep up with Perez’s quick responses across the court. Perez was a dominant force on the court as she shuffled from the baseline toward the net, continuously taking on both players. Their 6-4 win led to A&M clinching doubles, 1-0.

Khirin holds the team’s largest singles win streak at 15. She went up against Dekkers on Court 2 and had no issue responding to the topspin shots with a quick backhand. The quick response was not enough as she was the only A&M player who lost, 4-6, 4-6 on Court 2.

Perez continued her winning streak on Court 4 against Tahan with swift responses towards the Tiger leading to several shots hitting the net. Tahan lost her stripes to Perez, 6-3, 6-3.

Sophomore Daria Smetannikov was the first A&M player to win both sets 6-2, 6-2 against freshman Emma Grant. Shortly after, Mireles took down freshman Kenna Erickson on Court 5, 6-2, 6-1, winning her 15th match of the year.

No. 1 Mary Stoiana went against Teixido and clinched the match, 6-3, 6-1, marking her 25th singles victory of the season.

LSU junior Anita Sahdiieva’s perfect 11-0 singles record was hunted down by No. 36 sophomore Mia Kupres as she went for cross-court shots. Kupres won 6-2, 7-5, and allowed the Aggies to win 6-1.

“Another very decisive SEC win and on the road,” coach Mark Weaver said. “We are playing some very good tennis right now and our confidence continues to grow every match.”

A&M is set to play Missouri at the Mizzou Tennis Complex on Friday, April 5 in Columbia, Missouri at 2 p.m.

View Comments (1)