After falling in the polls, A&M seeks home win to recapture steam

Tim Lai

Turner Larkins will make his 12th start of the season against Texas State and is second on the team with 46 strikeouts.

Now that the biggest series of the year is over, the Texas A&M baseball team will once again put its undefeated midweek record to the test Tuesday night against the Texas State Bobcats. 

Texas State (18-24-1) is on a five-game losing streak, and just came off a sweep at conference foe Troy. Granger Studdard, Tanner Hill and Cedric Vallieres lead a three-headed attack for the Bobcats. Studdard leads the team in RBIs (29) and home runs (9). He is tied for first on the team in triples with two this season, and is second on the team in doubles. Vallieres and Hill are second and third in team RBIs and home runs, respectively. Vallieres also leads the team with nine doubles this year. 

With a variety of weapons at their disposal, the No. 5 Aggies (37-7, 13-6 SEC) are outscoring their opponents 84 to 24 in midweek contests. Logan Taylor remains one of the hottest bats in the lineup, hitting .372 this season. After the team’s trip to LSU, Taylor leads the Aggies with 41 RBIs this season. He also flashed professional-grade glove skills with a diving catch to save A&M a few runs in one game, and his arm gunned down two runners at the plate over the weekend.

Nick Banks has stayed hot all year, and while his batting average is below .400 now, Banks continues to produce runs and hits in clutch situations, which he exhibited over the weekend. 

The pitching staff remains one of the best in the country for A&M, posting a 2.57 ERA, which is seventh best in the nation. On Tuesday, freshman Turner Larkins will make his 12th start of the season. Larkins boasts a 5-1 record with a 3.31 ERA, and is second on the team with 46 strikeouts. In his last outing against UT-Arlington, he worked three innings, giving up just two hits and no runs with three strikeouts. 

Texas State is 8-12 away from home this year, while the Aggies have posted a 28-4 mark at Olsen Field. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.